x264 is a free library for encoding H.264/MPEG-4 AVC video streams.
To decode, we suggest you to use a recent build of FFDShow or a media player that supports H.264 internally - like MPlayer (there are few interesting frontends for Windows: MPlayerUI, MPlayer Frontend) and VLC (VideoLAN Client).
- VFW and installer were removed from auto update, VFW is outdated. However, you may try the Leiming's x264 GUI.
- Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0, AVISynth and DGIndex are required to use with MeGUI but NOT included.
Encoder features :
- Intra: all macroblock types (16x16, 8x8, and 4x4 with all predictions)
- Inter P: all partitions (from 16x16 down to 4x4)
- Inter B: partitions from 16x16 down to 8x8 (including skip/direct)
- Ratecontrol: constant quantizer, single or multipass ABR, optional VBV
- Scene cut detection
- Adaptive B-frame placement
- B-frames as references / arbitrary frame order
- 8x8 and 4x4 adaptive spatial transform
- Lossless mode
- Custom quantization matrices
- Parallel encoding of multiple slices
Advanced settings :
- Enabling Cabac: approximately 10% bitrate reduction without loss in quality, but is slow.
- Enabling De-blocking Filter: smooths out visible blocks during an encode (rather than by using post processing to smooth out blocks while decoding). Is a good idea to enable for low bitrate encodes.
Download x264 Video Codec